Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Ritz Theater

The NE Mpls Arts District isn't only about visual arts. It's also about the performing arts! It's been years since I've been in the theater scene so I decided a few months ago to offer my serves as a volunteer at the Ritz Theater. What a better way to become more involved in my community and to see the shows coming through?!

I attended my first performance at the Ritz Theater on Sunday, Lost in the Stars. The musical is sort of based on the novel Cry, the Beloved Country. I have to admit, I didn't really connect the musical with South Africa, where it takes place. It seemed more of story about race in America than apartheid in South Africa. Maybe it was the music, which did not have the drumming beat that I have come to associate with the continent. Don't get me wrong, the storyline was great and I would recommend seeing it. But it was a bit of a mismatch to me.

But back to the Ritz. It's been open now for almost 1 year. The Ballet of the Dolls is the resident performing company. I haven't yet seen a performance by the company, so I can't give my 2 cents. But they've been around for 20 years. The Ritz still needs a bit of cash to complete it's capital campaign, so check out their website if you want to support our neighborhood!

No comments: